Re: Help-Guix Digest, Vol 89, Issue 35 (Martin Castillo)

From: Martin Castillo
Subject: Re: Help-Guix Digest, Vol 89, Issue 35 (Martin Castillo)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:23:36 +0200

Hi,

Am 22.04.23 um 18:25 schrieb Gottfried:
Hi,

thanks for help.

1.
To test 1) add
echo reading xprofile on $(date) >>~/login.log
to your .xprofile and logout and back in.

I have a file .zprofile in my home directory
but not a file: .xprofile

I thought it was a typo in your other mail. zprofile is the startup file for the zsh shell. It's corresponds to the .bash_profile for bash.

But I really mean .xprofile. If it does not exist, create the file and write

# all Profile beim Start des Displays Managers öffnen
source ~/.bash_profile

into it.
Also, remove that line from the zprofile.

I tried with both to add it to my .zprofile file
did not help.

2.
If this file is really sourced on login, you should find the file
~/login.log with a line saying something like reading xprofile on Do 20. Apr 16:13:21 CEST 2023.

I did not find a file: ~/login.log

I have  files:
.e-log.log
.e-log.log.old

or they are in a different directory?

Try again after doing what I wrote above.

in /etc/profile there is > I don’t know if that helps, so I copied it
No, it does not. Unless you changed it in your system config, it's the same every other guix user has on their system.

If login.log exists, then there seems to be something wrong with the lines that should activate the profiles in .bash_profile.
To test 2) start a login shell with a clean environment
env - bash -l

and check whether that shell has all the profiles activated. If not, there is something wrong with your .bash_profile. You should post that then.

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ env - $(which bash) -l
gfp@Tuxedo /home/gfp$ icecat
Error: no DISPLAY environment variable specified
gfp@Tuxedo /home/gfp$ chromium
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
[7535:7535:0422/182050.365759:ERROR:ozone_platform_x11.cc(238)] Missing X server or $DISPLAY [7535:7535:0422/182050.366270:ERROR:env.cc(255)] The platform failed to initialize.  Exiting.
gfp@Tuxedo /home/gfp$

This looks good: You started a login shell with an empty environment, (it means when it started, no guix-profile was activated), and the commands icecat and chromium were found.

> I tried to open icecat and chromium in that shell but it doesn’t work.

The reason they printed errors is because the couldn't initialize the connection to the window manager, which is necessary for graphical applications. The couldn't connect because the environment variable DISPLAY was not set (since env - removed it for the shell and it's child processes).

So, if icecat and chromium are not installed system wide but only in one of your custom profiles, it means they must have been actived by the login shell you started. So your .bash_profile seems to work.

Martin Castillo