Re: Re[2]: can't compute prerequisites in static pattern rule

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Re[2]: can't compute prerequisites in static pattern rule
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:22:55 -0500

%% Evgeny Sologubov <address@hidden> writes:

  es>    You didn't understand :) I asked exactly about symbol "|", not
  es>    the whole rule :) [Sorry for my English :(] I've searched for
  es>    that operator in manual and found nothing.  What is it mean?

It means you're looking at an old version of the manual... are you sure
your version is for GNU make 3.80?

Anyway, Noel did answer your question:

  NY> "Order rules" were introduced in make-3.80.  They mean that
  NY> the LHS is dependent on the RHS's existence only.

Technically it means that the target will always be built after the
prerequisites, _BUT_ whether the prerequisites are newer or not has no
bearing on whether the target is rebuilt.