Re: cost of -MP

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: cost of -MP
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:07:44 -0400

Sorry for the confusion and for inadvertently implying you were stupid.  In one
of your previous posts, you had said:

> It is 19 make re-executions. The reason non-recursive is slower is that I
> haven't had a chance to optimize it yet. I actually expect it to be faster
> than recursive (for obvious reasons).

I hope you can understand where my confusion lies.

To help my understanding, would you mind answering the following questions,
please?

Currently, are the dependencies files regenerated due to a "-include", or as
part of the object file being built?

When you say "re-exec", do you mean a re-exec due to an included makefile being
rebuilt?  Or due to make recursively calling itself?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "up-to-date build" below?

Thanks,
Noel

Boris Kolpackov wrote:

Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

It just occurred to me:

If the re-exec's are occurring due to the dependencies file generation, then converting to the more advanced way of generating dependencies files will eliminate the 19 re-exec's.

Noel, I am not that stupid ;-). I run tests on an up-to-date build and
all those 19 re-execs are because of the recursive structure.

So, try to optimize away the re-exec's first

I already did, in my non-recursive build ;-)