makedepend--how can I make it more efficient

From: amit kumar
Subject: makedepend--how can I make it more efficient
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:07:13 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am using GNU make-3.79.1 for the build and the makefiles are executed in a recursinve manner using $(MAKE).

Out of the total time for the build process(8 hrs) the major chunk is consumed by makedepend (almost 70%).

Will starting parent makefile with -j option will have any impact on makedepend?
How can I make makedepend more efficient?

I want to reduce the time taken by makedepend.

I do have this solution in my mind:

1. Start all the recusrsive makedepend in parallel as background process and than start the compilation process once dependencies are built.

Can anyone suggest any other solution which requires minimum changes in the make file.

sample makedepend command used-->

makedepend -- $(SRCFILES) $(HA_SRCFILES) -- $(INCLUDE) $(DEFINES) -f makefile.tmp -w 80 -s

Thanks
AK