Re: Confusion over documentation wording, variable usage, and scope

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Confusion over documentation wording, variable usage, and scope
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 01:39:59 -0400

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 09:53 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> I didn't understand when to use one application over the other, but
> you answered this question down below; one -- $(eval ..) only, is used
> for straight insertion whereas $(eval $(call )) is used for argument
> insertion.

Well, kind of.

> This would mean that I'm looking for dynamic targets and target-
> specific variables, if I'm not incorrect.

There are lots of ways in make to get dynamic targets without using
$(eval ...).  For example, pattern rules etc.  $(eval ...) is
unquestionably the most powerful one, but it's also the trickiest to
understand and use.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us