Re: how to include .asm files

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: how to include .asm files
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:36:01 -0400

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 03:48 -0700, kwistjhp wrote:
> I have a problem with making the following file, in which idt.asm and
> service.asm are included in kernel_init.asm and should not be assembled by
> themselves. I want them to be dependencies to kernel_init.o
>
> --------
> kernel.bin : kernel_init.o
>       ld -T link.ld -o kernel.bin *.o -L H:\Jonix -lckjonix -nostdlib -M -s
>
> kernel.bin : kernel_init.o
>
> kernel_init.o : kernel_init.asm idt.asm service.asm
>       fasm kernel_init.asm kernel_init.o
> --------
>
> However, make complains 'no rule to make target idt.asm, needed by
> kernel_init.o. How can I tell make that these files are not to be built by
> make, but just that kernel_init.o is to be rebuilt whenever one of the
> dependencies are updated? When I add:

If the file already exists and make has no rule to build it, then make
will not try to build it.

If you're getting an error "no rule to make target", then the file
doesn't already exist.

In your case, idt.asm is not there or at least make can't find it.
That's why you're getting this error.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us