[Help-nano] Re: Nano on Windows, where should nanorc go?

From: Jeremy Cowgar
Subject: [Help-nano] Re: Nano on Windows, where should nanorc go?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:17:09 -0500

On 11/15/2010 12:56 PM, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> After finally getting my win32 system in working state again, I have
> uploaded the 2.2.5 version of nano for win32, and have updated the FAQ
> to talk about the rc file for those systems:
>
> http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v2.2/faq.html#3.9.1
>
> Can you take a look and provide any feedback you might have on it (as
> well as whether it even works :-)

Great! It works!

However, if I can, may I suggest instead of requiring the user to set
the HOME environment variable, looking to see if HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH
exists? That should be set on everyone's windows box. For example, mine is:

HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\Jeremy

This, however, might introduce problems with spaces in the file name if
not properly handled. Some could have HOMEPATH as "\Documents and
Settings\Jeremy"...

I tried to get nano 2.5 to compile on my Windows box but failed with
dependency problems. Not knowing CygWin very well, I gave up, but I was
going to submit a patch with the above suggestion.

Jeremy