Re: Installing Octave 1.1.0 Linux

From: niles
Subject: Re: Installing Octave 1.1.0 Linux
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 95 07:04:15 -0500

I had the same problem! You must do the following:
in /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h c replace:

#define __CONSTVALUE __const__
with:
#define __CONSTVALUE

and

#define __NORETURN __volatile__
with
#define __NORETURN

then it will work...It's a gcc 2.6.3 difference.  I don't think it's
really the perfect fix, but I've had no problems whatsoever after this
change with compilation of anything...but perhaps keep a back-up of
the orginal include file.

I wanted to tell someone who's in charge of these things for Linux
about it, but I don't know who/where I should post/mail.....if you
have any ideas...pass on the message.

Also, once Octave 1.1.1 is released (any day now), I will
put a binary version of octave for Linux at ftp.che.utexas.edu

Other than that you should be OK....

jwe: Perhaps you could put a blurb in the docs somewhere so
if people get stuck here...we don't get flooded with mail...
or better yet since these statements are in #ifndef clauses
perhaps you could define them for Linux in the configure.

        Good Luck!

        Rick Niles.