compiling octave with dynamically linked libraries

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: compiling octave with dynamically linked libraries
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 95 15:49:21 CST

Hi:

 I am trying to compile octave-1.1.1 with dynamic linking for the standard
libraries
(libF77/libc etc). To do that I just commented out the ld option -static from
the Makeconf
file. The octave binary compiles fine but then it seems that some functions
from libm.a
are not available: for example when I try to run the random number generator,
rand(), I get
function not defined error from octave.

 The setup is Sun SPARC 4.1.3 with gcc-2.6 and Sun F77 2.0 and octave is
compiled
*without* gnu dld support (ie, I have not added options --enable-dld and
--enable-lite-kernel
option to configure).

This is being done in order to have octave working on my SunOS 5.4 (Solaris)
machines also
in binary compatibilty mode which would like its libraries dynamically linked.

Thanks

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt