Octave 2.1.50 and hdf5 1.6.0

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave 2.1.50 and hdf5 1.6.0
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:40:55 -0500

On 26-Aug-2003, Shaun Cloherty <address@hidden> wrote:

| What is the status of hdf5 v1.6.0 and Octave 2.1.50? I saw a similar
| posting in the archive, but couldn't find a response. Can anyone confirm
| success or failure?
|
| Trying to load a seemingly valid hdf5 file into octave (v2.1.50), I see
| the following error;
|
| > octave:1> load /tmp/ortho-test.1.h5
| > HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 library version: 1.6.0 thread 16384.
Back trace follows.
| >   #000: H5Dio.c line 377 in H5Dread(): can't read data
| >     major(15): Dataset interface
| >     minor(22): Read failed
| >   #001: H5Dio.c line 686 in H5D_read(): can't read data
| >     major(15): Dataset interface
| >     minor(22): Read failed
| >   #002: H5Dio.c line 1501 in H5D_chunk_read(): can't build chunk mapping
| >     major(15): Dataset interface
| >     minor(27): Unable to initialize object
| >   #003: H5Dio.c line 2358 in H5D_create_chunk_map(): too many chunks
| >     major(15): Dataset interface
| >     minor(25): Address overflowed
| > error: load: error while reading hdf5 item Stats
| > error: load: error while reading hdf5 item Node000

What created the HDF file that you are trying to read?  If it is an
arbitrary HDF file, then I don't think Octave will necessarily be able
to load it since I don't think all data types possible in HDF are
supported by Octave.

If you think you've found a bug in Octave, please submit a complete
bug report to the bug-octave mailing list, including enough
information so that someone might be able to reproduce the problem.

jwe