Re: [O] Experiences with G.Strang: Intro to Linear Algebra?

From: Streph Treadway
Subject: Re: [O] Experiences with G.Strang: Intro to Linear Algebra?
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:56:33 -0500

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:43:55PM -0600, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 30-Oct-2003, Streph Treadway <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Excellent.  I have found that book very useful.  About a year ago, I
> | modified a little of the code to run with octave.  I'll look for it.
> | As I recall, some trivial modifications were necessary.
>
> How about reporting what changes are needed?
>
> Maybe these are compatibility problems that we would like to deal with
> in the Octave interpreter.  But if no one ever says anything about
> them, they are unlikely to be fixed.

I am afraid I typed too soon.  I was thinking of the code that goes with
another book by Professor Strang, Linear Algebra, Geodesy
and GPS.  The code for that book is available at:

http://www.i4.auc.dk/borre/matlab

Your comments are, nevertheless, equally appropriate regarding either
set of code.  Sadly I no longer have the changes I made.  I'd be happy
to look again at either set of m-files and see whether the matlab code runs
as expected under octave.  As I recall, the changes I made were truly
trivial.  I'll repost if I turn something up.

Yours,

Streph