Re: [Octave] suggestion?

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: [Octave] suggestion?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:42:42 -0600

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:26:17AM -0600, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 26-Feb-2004, Shai Ayal <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | How about looking for octave in the To: and  CC: fields instead -- I
> | should think any email client can do this, and it would not entail any
> | changes to the list. The list works, why fix it ?
> |
> |     Shai
> |
> | p.s. I use the above filter with 100% success, ant it catches all octave
> | mailing lists
>
> But there is a more reliable way than looking at the To: From: or CC:
> lines.  Every message posted on the list has the following lines in
> the header:

> I usually filter on the X-Mailing-List line.

See 'man procmailrc' -- I've found the meta-expressions ^TO and ^FROM most
useful. They expand to a variety of header pieces, and work quite well. I
have these which must date back to another millenium alltogether as they
still refer to U Texas :)  They are also overly complicated because of the
old addresses, but heck, it works so why fiddle with it ...

:0                              # help-octave
* ^TO(info|help)-octave@((bevo.)?che.(wisc|utexas).edu|octave.org)
in/octave-help

:0                              # bug-octave
* ^TObug-octave@((bevo.)?che.(wisc|utexas).edu|octave.org)
in/octave-bug

:0                              # octave-sources
* ^TOoctave-(sources|testers)@((bevo.)?che.(wisc|utexas).edu|octave.org)
in/octave-sources

:0                              # octave-maintainers
* ^TOoctave-maintainers@((bevo.)?che.(wisc|utexas).edu|octave.org)
in/octave-maintainers

Hugo, do invest the hour or so in reading up on procmail. It has good
examples in a specific manual page procmailex.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page