software for manipulating AVI files

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: software for manipulating AVI files
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:36:37 -0400

Does anyone here know of any good free software (GPL compatible
license required) for manipulating AVI files?  I'd like to be able to
implement the at least the following AVI functions in Octave:

  addframe  Add frame to AVI file
  avifile   Create new AVI file
  aviinfo   Return information about AVI file
  aviread   Read AVI file
  close     Close AVI file

I know about the libavifile-0.7 package that is in Debian unstable,
but it seems to force a dependency on X, and I'd prefer to avoid that
if possible since I'm really only wanting to read and write the files,
not display them.  Also, libavifile-0.7 is only in Debian unstable,
and it doesn't seem like a very active project.  Are there any other
alternatives?

Thanks,

jwe