Re: software for manipulating AVI files

From: Brendan Drew
Subject: Re: software for manipulating AVI files
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:43:40 -0600

Funny you should mention this --- I almost exclusively use Octave as a prototyping environment for machine vision and video processing algorithms ;-)

Unfortunately, the AVI file format is not quite as simple as one would want to believe. AVI is merely a container format, it makes no statements about how things are compressed or decompressed. Depending on the codecs you're using, things can become very complicated very quickly (specifying which codec and then specific parameters for that codec, followed by relevant sanity checking, correctly matching AVI streams to codecs when you have multiple versions to choose between, etc.)

Under Windows, this can very quickly become a nightmare. (DirectX is yet another homage to a good idea whose implementation was screwed beyond recognition by MS). The Unix tools aren't much better, at least in my experience. FFmpeg tends to be a fairly iffy proposition at best (I seem to have a talent for crashing it on a fairly regular basis in such a way as to completely lock at least X, if not portions of the kernel). That said, ffmpeg does have some nice advantages --- if compiled correctly, you can use any V4L2 or DCAM/IIDC compliant camera as a video source.

At present, I use ffmpeg to extract frames and then run my algorithms over the sequence of frames. This works well enough for my purposes. When I need to produce video files, ffmpeg can convert the frames into basically any format and codec I could care to use. Long story short: I don't know that the utility of solving this problem outweights the costs involved in solving it as well as Matlab has. ("as well as Matlab has" means no support for compressed AVIs under non-Windows platforms and using DirectX under Windows in this case)

Just my $0.02.

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 29-Sep-2005, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| I don't know about it's dependencies, but I think Gstreamer
| (http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/) would be nice for Octave. It's a
| multi-format library, so you would get more then just avi support. It's
| a LGPL library and it's a very active project.

Yes, I suppose it might be nice to have bindings for such a general
purpose library.  But it seems like overkill for what I want, which is
just a simple way to read and write a particular file format.  Looking
at the gstreamer docs does not help much for me as the unfamiliar
jargon has my head spinning.  Perhaps there is someone on the list
familiar with gstreamer who can point the way to implementing
something simple like reading and writing AVI files?

jwe

Brendan Drew
Research Scientist
PercepTek, Inc.