Re: Upgrading octave version

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Upgrading octave version
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:55:56 -0500

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/04/2008, asha g <address@hidden> wrote:
>  > I am trying to download Octave 3.0 on Enterprise Red
>  >  Hat Linux 4.0.
>
>  It looks like you already downloaded it, but you're just trying to
>  compile it now.
>
>  > I am getting errors as shown in the
>  > attachment.
>
>  Hm, do you really need to compile this? I know that Quentin was the
>  one working on packaging Octave for Fedora. I'm not sure exactly how
>  Fedora and Red Hat are related, but I'm guessing that if it works for
>  Fedora, it works for Red Hat (this sort of reasoning is generally
>  precarious on the apt-based systems I prefer to use, but maybe it
>  works for Red Hat).

RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 4 is three years old (I think).
Quentin's RPMs are for Fedora and RHEL 5 (those are, technically
speaking, two different distributions).
It might be that compilation on RHEL4 is not straightforward,
just because this distribution is fairly old (hence has an old gcc etc...).

Regards,

Dmitri.