Re: Octave with FLTK backend on Mac OS X?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave with FLTK backend on Mac OS X?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:58:38 -0500

On Feb 12, 2010, at 4:13 AM, Carlo de Falco wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2010, at 09:12, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
>
>> Ok, I installed these using MacPorts. However, running ./configure
>> results in an error that GNU readline was not found. However, I have
>> installed readline from MacPorts, which is the GNU version as far as I
>> can tell. Any hints?
>
> This could be due to a conflict with the apple-shipped version of readline
> which is installed /usr/lib,
> you must make shure you are actually linking to the macports readline...
> One quick way to do this is to temporarily rename /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib
> so that it is no seen by configure.
>
>> Matthias
> c.

What I did was to place my Fink libs ahead of the standard ones in LDFLAGS ...

        export PREFIX="/sw"
        export LDFLAGS="-L$PREFIX/lib -L/usr/lib -m32"

For MacPorts, the same should work by changing the prefix to "/opt/local"

To make sure you get it right, use "otool -L src/.libs/octave" to see which
readline dylib Octave is linked to.  Near the bottom of the list, I see ...

        /sw/lib/libreadline.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current
version 5.0.0)

Ben