Re: newbie who can't edit

From: c.
Subject: Re: newbie who can't edit
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:32:18 +0100

On 29 Jan 2011, at 07:36, Vokey, John wrote:

> A long Matlab user, just started with Octave.  Most everything I want from
> Matlab works with Octave (i.e., every .m file I have tested works), so I am
> quite pleased.  BUT, I can't edit anything.  When I type edit or edit name,
> nothing happens.  The terminal window just locks up, and I have to close the
> window and restart Octave.  Am I missing something?
>
> Mac OSX 10.6.6, and the latest Octave.

you need to specify the program to use for editing,
which one to use is really a matter of taste, I like emacs
and use the Aquamacs binary distribution [1], so I have the
following in my ~/.octaverc configuration file:

edit editor "open -a /Applications/Aquamacs.app %s &"
edit license gpl
edit mode async
edit home ./

type "doc edit" at the octave prompt for more options for the "edit" command.

HTH,
c.

[1] http://aquamacs.org/