load a .mat file in octave matlab code name and path partualy substitute

From: joshua wojnas
Subject: load a .mat file in octave matlab code name and path partualy substituted by vareables
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 07:28:08 -0500

load a .mat file in octave matlab code name and path partualy
substituted by vareables.

This I think shows me a path can not be a vareable in load .mat

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MATLAB_Programming/Differences_between_Octave_and_MATLAB

the zip file here I am trying to run in octave

http://www.sce.carleton.ca/faculty/chan/matlab.html

Myoelectric Control Example
MECexample.zip (10-02-08) Example code and data to classify eight
channels of myoelectric data to predict seven upper arm motions (i.e.
using electromyography (EMG) signals for control of upper limb
prostheses).

the error I get:

octave:1> mec_main
error: `daqread' undefined near line 10 column 8
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 10, column 6
error: called from `load_data' in file
`/home/josheeg/Desktop/MECexample/MEC/load_data.m'
error: near line 5 of file `/home/josheeg/Desktop/MECexample/MEC/mec_main.m'
octave:1>

I tried uncommenting the line in the mec_main.m file after it didn't
work to sspecify the data.

aparently file name & directory are vareables in the code