Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 11:42:04 -0700 (PDT)

While scrolling through 'pkg.m' my eyes stopped for a second on the source
of 'issuperuser' function:

   2240 function s = issuperuser ()
   2241   if ((ispc () && ! isunix ()) || (geteuid() == 0))
   2242     s = true;
   2243   else
   2244     s = false;
   2245   endif
   2246 endfunction

- the file, as before, is 'octave-3.4.2/share/octave/3.4.2/m/pkg/pkg.m'.

I am not a Windows guy, but I have some doubts regarding correctness of
this function.

On a Windows machine 'ispc ()' will yield TRUE, as well as '! isunix ()',
so the result will be TRUE, i.e. the function will tell the user is
superuser - regardless of actual privileges.

However, under Windows running as Administrator is not a must. In fact,
on very rare occasions I run Windows in a VM I still prefer to run _not_
as Administrator, and I use my Administrator account only when I need
to install/remove programs.

I don't know how under Windows to determine user ID, hopefully somebody
knows and can clarify the issue of 'issuperuser' correctness under
Windows.

Regards,
  Sergei.