Re: Problem with griddata and contourplot

From: Walter White
Subject: Re: Problem with griddata and contourplot
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:16:52 +0100

No, the data is scattered 3d points, that are results of a FEM calculation but are no
longer in triangular form.

Do yo know what causes the error, is there some sort of limit in gnuplot,
as the triangulation using griddata runs fine and my program quits during
contourf...

2011/12/9 c. <address@hidden>

On 9 Dec 2011, at 17:04, Walter White wrote:

> I came across a problem and hope that you can help me.
>
> I was trying to produce a contour plot of scattered x,y,z data,
> therefore I was using griddata. So far everything works fine,
> but when my mesh is too fine the following error message
> appears and the script quits:
>
> gnuplot (as of v4.2) only supports 3D filled triangular patches
>
> Since the data is from a FEM software I have to plot it
> using a fine mesh to see the details.
> Does someone know a solution or a workaround to that?

if your data is defined on a triangular or tetrahedral mesh,
you might want to use the 'fpl' package to export it to vtk format
and then view it with paraview.

> Kind regards,
> Walter
> _______