Re: Languages...

From: Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Subject: Re: Languages...
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 22:13:34 +0100

try to write in
English. If you can't, write in whatever language you can.

Thanks, the question is 100% answered and it's nice to know that the rules relating languages are not hard, but please allow me to explain myself just a bit more, if it's only to clarify that I don't have anything against English... :-) I was not thinking on cases in which writing English could be hard to someone, I guess everybody here can write understandable English without too much hassle... My question was rather related to a practical matter: if I want to touch a topic that only a particular "group of people" can answer and it would also be clearer in a particular language and, moreover, it would be non-interesting to anybody else, I see no reason to discuss the topic in English. I'm thinking here concretely (but not only) on subtracting a donation to Octave from taxes (if this is possible at all), which is an issue that depends on local laws and involves language-specific expressions... If I live in Germany, I see no point on asking this issue to the entire list in English to get an answer from a German speaking but also in English and try to clarify later on what exactly is the German expression for the discussed tax guidance or which is the German name of the taxes form I have to fill out, and so one... This would be a lot easier if I simply discuss it in German and, furthermore, I'm also relatively sure nobody else really cares about the German taxes system but Germans... :-) ok, nothing against the German taxes system... also, nichts für ungut, herr Fiskus... :-)