Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui fron

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Subject: Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 19:36:46 -0600

On 12/21/2012 03:06 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On 12/21/2012 05:48 AM, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
>
>> I recommended to use UPM-Octave Release 6 for Windows.
>> Some hints:
>>
>> . you can change the language to english
>>   just removing the languages directory under the bin directory.
>>   That should enjoy your students.
>
> That worked great.  Thank you.
>

>> . Currently you have to download packages for octave homepage
>>   and then install it inside UPM using pkg install/load commands
>>   just like in Octave.
>>

> I tried this with odepkg.  Unfortunately it didn't work, because octave
> has to build some of the source code.  So what I did instead was to
> simply download ode45.m from a web site, and it works great.  It was
> able to solve the lorenz attractor, and basically this about all I will
> need.

But the ode45 I downloaded didn't work as well as the ode45 in odepkg.
So I did this...

> But really the packages need to be prebuilt before they can be
> installed.  (ode45 is itself a matlab file, but odepkg also includes
> some rather high powered solvers that need to be compiled using fortran.)

... very easy work around.  I downloaded odepkg-0.8.2.tar.gz from the
octave forge web site onto my unix computer.  Then I untarred it,
deleted the directory src, and then retarred it under the name
odepkg-0.8.2-mod.tar.gz.  I copied this onto my windows computer, and
from UPM-Octave I simply typed
pkg install odepkg-0.8.2-mod.tar.gz

I'll put odepkg-0.8.2-mod.tar.gz on the class web site, and have my
students using UPM-Octave download and install it.  (If I need to add
any commentary so that I don't violate GPL, I'll add that to.)

So regarding GUI octaves that I need to teach my classes, I am
completely satisfied.

Thank you very much,
Stephen