octave install

From: johnrobinson
Subject: octave install
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

I have a problem trying to install octave from source on a Linux system,
according to online manual
there are a lot of third party dependency's which means i have to abandon
install and instead use a pre compiled OLD version for my distro or spend
years searching for and installing the extras, since most package managers
can detect redundant installs why not include them ?
The problem is that I use my computers professionally and are as such
strictly forbidden direct access  to the internet as malware of any
description could have severe financial implications.
This post is written on a "disposable laptop" using a mobile internet
connection. which provides only a Slow and Limited data allowance.
I often have this problem for example:- web installers on Windows, also web
based manuals and help which demand permanent internet connection.
my question is what is the problem in providing the third party dependency's
in the source package is it something as silly as licensing? (as they are
free anyway) Closed source I  accept may be different matter.
Also I accept that different packages may be needed for different platforms.
I cant imagine in this day and age storage space to be the reason.
I know a lot of people who keep their mission critical computers away from
the internet as well as people in remote (me) or third world locations,so i
am not the only one who is not "permanently connected".
some views on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks