Re: JRE not found, windows

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: JRE not found, windows
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 17:09:48 +0100

Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:14 AM Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019, 8:23 AM PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

mmuetzel wrote
Am 09. November 2019 um 18:54 Uhr schrieb "Nicholas Jankowski":
32- or 64-bit Octave? (you didn't say)

AFAIK the command 'system("java -version")' also works in case of a bit
width mismatch between Octave and Java as it is just a Windows command,
outside Octave.

Philip

both Octave and Java are 64bit.

source files:
jre-8u231-windows-x64.exe
octave-5.1.0-w64.7z

installed in usual locations.

looking at how version checks for java,  i manually ran one of the checks

  jname = javaMethod ("getProperty", "java.lang.System",
"java.vm.name");

error: javaMethod: could not find library or dependencies: C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.8.0_231\bin\server\jvm.dll

yet i can cd to that folder and see it. i have no problem running Java
from outside octave, so I don't think its a permissions error.

frustrating...

This might be a red herring: But the error message is displayed for both
ERROR_DLL_NOT_FOUND and ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND. The latter meaning that a
dependency of jvm.dll couldn't be found.
Can you use e.g. Dependency Walker [1] to determine whether this is the
case? It should be ok to ignore all dependency warnings on "core
libraries" (like "kernel32.dll", "user32.dll", etc.).
I'm suspecting that the C runtime library might be not installed in the
required version (or is somehow broken?).
AFAICS, Java 8 depends on MSVC 10.0 (2010). See e.g. here [2] for download
links of the currently supported versions of the VCR.
I don't know though if it is possible to install Java without it checking
that the necessary VCR is installed.

Markus

[1]: http://www.dependencywalker.com/
[2]:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Good point Markus; that's the other thing I had in mind, a faulty Java
installation.
But if that is the case Nick may have other issues as well on that specific
Windows box. Java is so widely used and tested that it is probably hard to
get it mis-installed on the average Windows box.

Thanks I'll check it out shortly.  I'm used to having issues in managed windows
boxes at work.  This is my personal, lightly used one at home that's has a
fairly vanilla win10 recently installed an hardly mucked around with.

> Interesting.  So DependencyWalker did find a bunch of stuff, much
> windows core as you said (kernel32, user32, advapi32, wsock32, winmm,
> version, psapi (all 64bit under /windows/system23)). At the end it
> does show it can't find msvcr100.dll.  Looking in the Control Panel
> "add/remove programs" list, it shows "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86
> Redistributable - 10.0.40219" (with an install date from before i
> installed this win10 image, so I assume it came along with windows or
> some other program)
>
> Assuming something might need the x86 version, I downloaded both the
> x86 and x64 versions from MS. uninstalled the x86, and then
> reinstalled the x86 and the x64.
>
> x86
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-pk/download/details.aspx?id=8328
>
> x64
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523
>
> Opening Octave, version -java now gives:
>
>>> version -java
> ans = Java 1.8.0_231-b11 with Oracle Corporation Java HotSpot(TM)
> 64-Bit Server VM mixed mode
>
> in both zip and exe installations
>
> THANK YOU

I can only guess something must have gone wrong when installing the 64-bit Java JRE on your box. You've hit a rare problem.

Philip