help-rcs

Re: Files group name changes when using co / ci

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Files group name changes when using co / ci
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:53:39 -0700

Hayward, Bruce wrote:
> after creating the sub RCS directory (with w for the group), and running
> ci named the RCS sub-directory contents are (note that root is now the
> group:
> -r--r-----   1 root     root        3066 Feb 13 20:38 named.conf,v

Because these are new files and the group that root was in was the
'root' group the files were created with the same group as the
creating process.

> -rw-r-----   1 root     named       2877 Dec 28 20:13 named.conf
> How do I set it so that ci/co does not change the file's groupname?

As Paul indicated this is really an OS behavior.  But let me suggest
that you chgrp the directory to the group that you want (guessing
'named' here, on my system it would be 'bind') and then set the setgid
bit.  This is what Debian does and it solves your problem.  Basically
this, but you will need to adapt it for your local system configuration.

  mkdir /etc/bind
  chgrp named /etc/bind
  chmod g+ws /etc/bind
  mv /etc/named.conf /etc/bind/
  ln -s bind/named.conf /etc/named.conf

Then do all of your work inside the /etc/bind directory.  Because the
directory is setgid any new files created there will be the same as
the group of the directory.

Actually depending upon your BIND configuration you won't even need
the symlink.

Bob