help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Can't extract - get "Archive contains obsolescent base-64

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Can't extract - get "Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers"
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:11:40 +0100 (CET)

Hi again Alexis,

> > While you're at it, you should really try to run "file" on the dump
> > file you extracted from the tape. That might give you a hint at what
> > exactly the format is.
>
>       dione$ file tape.dump
>       tape.dump: POSIX tar archive
>       dione$
>
> Which fits with the ustar in the dump.

Ustar and POSIX are two different tar formats as far as I know. That
said, I made some tests and it looks like "--format" doesn't make any
difference when extarcting.

BTW, didn't you try GNU tar 1.15.1 or even S tar [1]?

Other than that, I fear I am out of ideas, sorry :(

[1] http://freshmeat.net/projects/star/

--
Jean Delvare