Re: translations of GNU manuals

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: translations of GNU manuals
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:32:17 -0500

    gcal comes with a translated manual, too.

Ah.  It looks to me like gcal attempts to install only the language for
current system.  It seems better to install everything.

The only reasonable approach I can think of is
$(infodir)/$(LANG)/*.info

And since the overwhelming majority of distributions don't have any
translated manuals, I think putting English manuals directly in
$(infodir) is still reasonable, for now.  $(infodir)/en could be a
symlink to `.' ...

The dir file can be hand-edited to include whichever manuals in
whichever order is desirable at the local site.  In practice, the dir
file pretty much has to be hand-edited anyway.

Thoughts?

I will try to do this for info-fr.texi (install it in
$(infodir)/fr/info.info), and see what might be helpful in Automake.

Thanks,