Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 21:17:56 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Per Bothner <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:35:39 -0800
>
> > I think it should use BAR.png.  The problem with file-name clashes is
> > not unique to images, it exists with the Info files as well.  It's for
> > the package maintainers to solve, I see no need for the Texinfo
> > package to second-guess its users.
>
> Which "package maintainers"?
>
> Say I maintain package FOO1 (say kawa), and someone else maintains
> package FOO2 (say emacs), and have (different) file named screenshot-1.png.
> What happens when FOO1.info and FOO2.info and installed in the same
> info installation directory?  Bad things?  Who did something wrong?
> Nobody.

How is this different from the Info files themselves?  It isn't.

> How do we avoid this problem?  By using a naming convention.

Exactly.

> An alternative would be to use separate directories.  That would perhaps
> make most sense for html:
>
>     FOO1/
>        index.html
>        Introduction-to-Foo1.html
>        ToC.html
>        screenshot1.png
>        screenshot2.png

This is already used with HTML, but only if the HTML output is split
by chapters or sections.  If you produce a single monolithic HTML
output file, it doesn't have subdirectories, AFAIR.

> I've started writing up a roadmap / design document for replacing texinfo's
> info-centric model with an html-centric mode for documentation.
> I'm ok with deferring the issue until then.

Like I said, I don't speak for the Texinfo project, so if Gavin is
okay with your suggestions, go ahead and ignore me.  I just think that
making the Texinfo system overly complicated for these and similar
reasons will end up replacing one problem for another.