hfdb

Re: [hfdb] Scope (Was Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database)

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [hfdb] Scope (Was Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:17:19 +1000

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 13:19, James K. Lowden wrote:
> So, scope.  Let's get down to brass tacks.

We will classify all hardware devices that are submitted to us, and that
we submit ourselves, and that we merge in some manner from external
databases (eg. linuxprinting.org as is becoming the case).

> Who's trying to do what, and
> who needs what from the database [model]?

Well, this will become apparent as we try to add stuff. Which brings us
to the core of our work - adding stuff.

This raises a little question that's been in my mind for a week or four:

I have a device - a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard". I'm using it right
now. How do I add it to the database? (At the moment, you have an
instance of a rdbms somewhere that you have built the current schema
inside of).

I imagine that a good place to start is for me to recreate that schema
inside my own rdbms (in my case, I'm running PostgreSQL on my
workstation).

I would like to go through the experience of creating the tables,
inserting some data, then exporting that in a format that you and others
can import. This way we can eventually figure out the best way to
synchronize against each others' DBs, we won't have a single central
point of failure.

Can you export a "script" or set of SQL statements that I can try to use
to create a corresponding DB in my local DB?

I'm actually happy to create it from scratch as well, but I'd like the
process to be automatable if possible, for the reasons above.

Thanks
Zen