hfdb

Re: [hfdb] Scope (Was Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database)

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [hfdb] Scope (Was Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:19:03 +1000

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:54, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I have a device - a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard". I'm using it right
> > now. How do I add it to the database?
>
> That's really two questions: What data go in what tables, and how does one
> move the data into said tables.
>
> What do you know about this keyboard?  Then let's walk through where each
> piece belongs.

OK, I can say the following from my experience:

* It's a Microsoft Natural Keyboard (may be "... Pro").
* It's a US-English style layout, I think 104 keys (Windows + Menu keys)
* It's got 16 special-function keys across the top, above the Fn keys:
 - back
 - forward
 - stop
 - refresh
 - search
 - favourites
 - web/home
 - mail
 - mute
 - volume -
 - volume +
 - play/pause
 - stop
 - prev track
 - next track
 - media
* It's got 3 special function keys above the keypad:
 - my computer
 - calculator
 - sleep
* It has three led lights for num-lock, caps-lock and scroll-lock.
* It has a cable that splits near the computer end, with PS/2 and USB
connectors.
* It has a 2 port USB hub built in.
* It has a serial number: 5157703025042, and other stickers underneath.
* I've been able to make Linux consoles and X work with it.
* The PS connector works under Linux kernels 2.4.[246].
* I've been able to make it work using the USB connector with 2.4.4.
* I haven't tried to use the special "multimedia keys".

That's a start anyway.

cheers
zen