hfdb

Re: [hfdb] Printer data/ "driver" formats

From: Till Kamppeter
Subject: Re: [hfdb] Printer data/ "driver" formats
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:19:07 +0200

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
Till, can you please give us non-printer tech-heads a run down on the
printer databases/ drivers out there.

The principal database currently is linuxprinting.org. Formerly there was RHS Print Filters from Red Hat, SuSE had also its own thing. All these disappeared as the distros switched to Foomatic from linuxprinting.org. There is still APS Filter as a project which is alive, but I do not know anyone using it. It most probably contains much less printer info than linuxprinting.org. IFHP of LPRng also contains printer info, but AFAIK only about PCL/PJL laser printers. But Patrick Powell, author of LPRng, is working a lot on Foomatic currently, so the IFHP info will make it into Foomatic sooner or later. Also PPD files which come with PostScript printers contain data, and very important data, as they describe the complete option sets of the PostScript printers to which they belong. Some manufacturers released their PPDs as free software. They are downloadable on

http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/PPD/

Foomatic/linuxprinting.org is the most important printer compatibility database for free software.

Drivers (for converting data to the printer's language) come from several different projects: HPIJS (from HP), Gimp-Print, GhostScript, Epson-Kowa, but also from individuals who want to get the "damned thing to work", as for example students who reverse-engineered the protocols of their Lexmark inkjets to let their university work to get printed. Links to all lmown free printer drivers are in the driver entries on linuxprinting.org.

Low-level communication drivers for printers are usually in the kernel, the appropriate modules for parallel and USB printers. Only a few printers need/perform better with something special. Here we have HPOJ (for HP's multi-function devices, for simultaneous printing and scanning, scanning at all), MTink (to print and check ink levels at the same time on Epson inkjets), but also drivers with low level communication as the drivers for the Samsung ML-85G or the Canon LBP-660 to which you find links on linuxprinting.org.

I've heard of linuxprinting.org (obviously), the foomatic drivers,
various driver projects (like lprng, cups, lpd), and the whole thing has
never seemed remotely approachable from an end-user point of view. Every
time I do (Debian) "apt-cache search printer|grep -i print", there are
so many things to choose from, that the task of researching even enough
to understand it all has lead me to continue with what I was doing
previously :(

It's a lot of stff together:

Driver

  low-level

     kernel, HPOJ, ...

   printer language

      HPIJS, Gimp-Print

Spooler/printing system

   CUPS, LPRng, PPR, PDQ, ...

PostScript/PDF renderer

   GhostScript

Integration of the driver in the spooler/printing system

   Foomatic

Printer hardware compatibility database

   Foomatic

In particular, given Joe Shaw's recent email re: foomatic, a comparison
between foomatic and linuxprinting db.

More about how to use Foomatic:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/lpd-doc.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppr-doc.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pdq-doc.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-doc.html
   Instructions to set up print queues

http://www.linuxprinting.org/USAGE
   USAGE file of the foomatic-db-engine package

http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic-filters/USAGE
   USAGE file of the foomatic-filters package

More about how Foomatic works

http://www.linuxprinting.org/README
   README file of the foomatic-db-engine package

http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic-filters/README
   README file of the foomatic-filters package

   Till