hfdb

Re: [hfdb] Printer data/ "driver" formats

From: Till Kamppeter
Subject: Re: [hfdb] Printer data/ "driver" formats
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:21:53 +0200

See also here:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/linuxtag2003/FoomaticLinuxTag2003/FoomaticLinuxTag2003.html

   Till

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
Till, can you please give us non-printer tech-heads a run down on the
printer databases/ drivers out there.

I've heard of linuxprinting.org (obviously), the foomatic drivers,
various driver projects (like lprng, cups, lpd), and the whole thing has
never seemed remotely approachable from an end-user point of view. Every
time I do (Debian) "apt-cache search printer|grep -i print", there are
so many things to choose from, that the task of researching even enough
to understand it all has lead me to continue with what I was doing
previously :(

In particular, given Joe Shaw's recent email re: foomatic, a comparison
between foomatic and linuxprinting db.

Thanks heaps
Zen