Re: [igraph] Finding motifs in a graph

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Finding motifs in a graph
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:08:20 +0100

Laurence,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Laurence Muller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> For a project I made a simple application that tries to find certain motifs
> in the graph/dataset.
> By using igraph_motifs_randesu I'm able to find motifs with the size of 3 or
> 4 vertices.
>
> Questions:
> 1. The function returns a list of isomorphism classes and the number of
> 'hits'. Is there an overview available that shows the layout of each
> isomorphism class? The reference only points to FANMOD but that tool does
> not show all possible isomorphism classes for 3 or 4 vertices.

Here is how to see them from R:

library(igraph)
motifs3 <- lapply(0:15, function(x) graph.isocreate(3,x))
layout( matrix(1:16, 4) )
tmp <- lapply(motifs3, function(g) { par(mar=c(1,1,1,1)) ; plot(g,
layout=layout.circle, vertex.size=100, vertex.label.cex=3) })

Picture attached.

> 2. Is there a way to retrieve a list of the position of these motifs?

Not currently. There is too many of them in any graph of decent size.

G.