Re: Rendering HTML Content in Email Messages

From: Roland Roberts
Subject: Re: Rendering HTML Content in Email Messages
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:12:32 -0400

    >> Now if I can just figure out how to prevent automatic HTML
    >> rendering without having to unload w3....

    rs> What's wrong with the answer from the FAQ (included in the
    rs> Gnus manual)?

    rs> ,----[ (info "(gnus)[4.6]") - http://my.gnus.org/faq/ ]
    rs> | I'd like Gnus NOT to render HTML-mails but show me the text part if
    rs> | it's available. How to do it?
    rs> `----

I would have sworn I replied to this yesterday; perhaps I didn't pay
attention and sent my reply only to you instead of the list since it
hasn't shown up yet....

The problem seems to be a problem/conflict with some other settings
because the answer in the FAQ doesn't work for me.  I have added

     (eval-after-load "mm-decode"
      '(progn
           (add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/html")
           (add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/richtext")))

to my .gnus.el, but Gnus is *still* automatically rendering HTML for
me.  Perhaps this is interacting badly with these settings

      gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed nil
      gnus-mime-display-multipart-as-mixed t

but I haven't probed yet.  I removed w3 from my load-path :-(

Note that "(gnus) Article Washing" has this

`W h'
     Treat HTML (`gnus-article-wash-html').  Note that this is usually
     done automatically by Gnus if the message in question has a
     `Content-Type' header that says that the message is HTML.

roland
- --
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court