Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:44:15 +0200

Stefan Reichör <stefan@xsteve.at> writes:

> That sounds interesting and a bit complicated to setup.  Now I use a
> nnml backend, I have never used IMAP before.

Yes, it sounds like a complicated, and slow setup, but it's really
easy, and fast too.  I believe the speed comes from Dovecot (or
presumably other well-written IMAP servers, but I haven't tried any
other) is much faster to check for new mail in the maildirs than Gnus.

I have my mail delivered (by TMDA, but that doesn't really matter) to
my maildirs located in ~/Maildir.  There I have

  directory in filesystem (a maildir)  => appears as this on IMAP
  ~/Maildir                            =>  INBOX
  ~/Maildir/.spam                      =>  spam
  ~/Maildir/.sent                      =>  sent
  etc.

where each maildir is viewed as a folder when Dovecot reads the mail.
I didn't have to configure anything with Dovecot, for it reads
~/Maildir for maildirs by default, and shows any IMAP client what it
finds there.

So, after having renamed my old maildirs to the new .<name> scheme, I
started Dovecot, and configured Gnus with

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "" (nnimap-address "localhost"))))

on my local machine --- I then got access to my maildirs, but now
going through Dovecot, giving me a significant speedup when starting.

I've also used nnml previously, and it worked fine, and quickly too if
I remember correctly.  The nice new feature of this IMAP-over-maildir
setup is, that I can have other kinds of software accessing the mails
in a proper way and compatible way.

--
Martin Geisler                                  My GnuPG Key: 0xF7F6B57B

PHP EXIF Library      |  PhpWeather              |  PhpShell
http://pel.sf.net/    |  http://phpweather.net/  |  http://gimpster.com/
Read/write EXIF data  |  Show current weather    |  A shell in a browser