Re: HTML display

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: HTML display
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:46:41 -0500

David Sumbler wrote:

> When I view a message which has a Content-Type header showing that it
> is HTML, I see the HTML, rather than the "washed" version.
>
> If I press "W h", I get "Can't open load file: w3".  Well, that's not
> really surprising: I don't have w3.
>
> I looked at the Gnus manual, and thought I would try html2text or
> links, but at the moment the variables gnus-article-wash-function and
> mm-text-html-renderer, mentioned by the manual, don't even seem to
> exist.  (The manual seems to imply that they ought already to exist.)
>
> So why don't they already exist, what is the simplest way for me to
> create them, and is there some fundamental point I've missed?

I don't know why those variables don't exist.

Variable mm-text-html-renderer seems to control HTML-to-text rendering.
Here's what I do to view HTML email in text form:

(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives       '("text/html" "text/richtext")
      mm-text-html-renderer             'lynx)

(setcdr (assoc 'lynx mm-text-html-renderer-alist)
        '(mm-inline-render-with-stdin nil "lynx" "-dump" "-force_html"
"-stdin"))

Hope this helps.
--
Francis Litterio