Re: Showing Complete Active Threads

From: Rolleston
Subject: Re: Showing Complete Active Threads
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:53:57 +0000

Tassilo wrote:
> Try
>
>       (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 't)

Somewhat suboptimal, I'd say, as it seems to often try to receive every
available header.

Why doesn't (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 1000) work when there are not even
1000 headers
in a group? In the tests I've done - which are hardly exhaustive - it seems to
have done
absolutely nothing at all.

Look, here's an example.

First, I mark your message as unread, giving this summary buffer:

    08 Mar 08:38 Re: Showing Complete Active Threads Tassilo Horn

I instruct gnus to fetch old headers:

  M-: (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 1000)

There should be no problem here. All the messages in this thread
are in the set containing the last 1000 messages.

I leave the summary buffer:

       1: gnu.emacs.gnus
     132: alt.test
       5: nndraft:drafts

So far so good :) Now I check for new messages (perhaps not necessaray to do
that) and
hit <RET> to reenter the summar buffer. And this is what I see:

    08 Mar 08:38 Re: Showing Complete Active Threads Tassilo Horn

Oh... it's a loose thread. What happens if I type A R? Let's see now:

  R 08 Mar 06:07 Showing Complete Active Threads Rolleston
    08 Mar 08:38 \->  Tassilo Horn

And there it is, the whole thread. Hmm.. Ok. Let's try your suggestion (without
the quote):

  M-u
  M-: (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers t)

We leap out of the summary buffer, and dive back in again:

  O 08 Mar 06:07 Showing Complete Active Threads Rolleston
    08 Mar 08:38 \->  Tassilo Horn

Hmmph! What's going on here?

Thanks,

R.