Re: Gnus and Tramp

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Gnus and Tramp
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:15:38 +0900

> I realized that tramp and Gnus don't work really well together.  I often
> run in problems when using both at the same time.  Mostly, I can't
> connect to the remote file anymore if I'm running Gnus and cease to work
> on the file for some time.

> Conversely, if I'm visiting a tramp buffer and then try to start Gnus, it
> won't start but hang with an error.  I then get this error message:

> ,----
>| tramp-handle-executable-find: Wrong type argument: arrayp,
>tramp-default-remote-path
> `----

> Here's the backtrace:

[...]
>|   tramp-handle-executable-find("w3m")

I don't know where `tramp-handle-executable-find' comes from.

[...]
>|   (if (eq (tramp-find-foreign-file-name-handler default-directory) (quote
>tramp-sh-file-name-handler)) (setq ad-return-value (apply ... ...)) (setq
>ad-return-value (ad-Orig-executable-find command)))

The function `executable-find' is advised in some way, however I
couldn't find out what does it in Emacs 22 and emacs-w3m.  It
might be in your ~/.emacs file or in the other version of Tramp
which is not that of Emacs 22.  What do you get with the command
`C-h f executable-find RET'?