Re: gmail from gnus

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: gmail from gnus
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:57:21 +0000

On 18 Nov 2006, raherh@gmail.com wrote:

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "myusername"
> "mypasswd")))
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587))

This is all fine.

>> If it's still not working, make sure starttls.el can find the
>> necessary software.  The following:
>>
>> (executable-find starttls-program)
>>
>> should return something other than nil.  If not, adjust the value of
>> starttls-program accordingly with customize-variable.
>
> I understood if I use GnuTLS then starttls-program is not used but
> GnuTLS program gnu-cli in starttls-use-gnutls function. Should I set
> starttls-program?

This is probably the problem.  I use starttls:

starttls (starttls) 0.10

and it works for me.  Maybe someone that uses GnuTLS can help you?
Otherwise you can try to walk with me through the setup of
starttls.el, which is not too bad:

(defcustom starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
  "Name of GNUTLS command line tool.
This program is used when GNUTLS is used, i.e. when
`starttls-use-gnutls' is non-nil."
  :version "22.1"
  :type 'string
  :group 'starttls)

(defcustom starttls-program "starttls"
  "The program to run in a subprocess to open an TLSv1 connection.
This program is used when the `starttls' command is used,
i.e. when `starttls-use-gnutls' is nil."
  :type 'string
  :group 'starttls)

(defcustom starttls-use-gnutls (not (executable-find starttls-program))
  "*Whether to use GNUTLS instead of the `starttls' command."
  :version "22.1"
  :type 'boolean
  :group 'starttls)

So you have to check all three variables and let us know their
values...

starttls-gnutls-program won't work if gnutls-cli is not in your path,
actually.  I wonder why the authors didn't use executable-find, so it
would be undefined (and throw an error) if gnutls-cli doesn't exist in
the path.  Maybe there's a good reason.  cc-ing Daiki and Simon in
case they have some insight.

Ted