Problem with openssl and Gnus

From: Nathaniel Calloway
Subject: Problem with openssl and Gnus
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:48:40 -0400

I've been trying to get gnus up and running with IMAP under
windows. The problem I'm having is that immediately after openssl
loads and  connection is made to ym mail server, Emacs and gnus lock
up. I don't believe that this is a problem with gnus because if I
C-M-DEL out of openssl, gnus wakes back up and allows me to log into
the mail server. No mail is sent as you might expect, but otherwise
everything works perfectly afterwards. I'm very stumped by this. I've
tried reinstalling openssl, and trying as many setting as I can
understand with no luck. I'm not looking forward to the idea of
compiling it on my windows box, but that's an option. I am
going to try stunnel until further notice.

Here is the relevant part of my .gnus file:

   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
         '((nnimap "mail-imap"
             (nnimap-address "postoffice10.mail.cornell.edu")
             (nnimap-server-port 993)
             (nnimap-stream ssl)
        ;    (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.imap-authinfo")
             )))
   (setq nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX")
   (setq imap-ssl-program "openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p")

-Nat