Re: IMAP and Exchange 2007

From: Brett Randall
Subject: Re: IMAP and Exchange 2007
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:44:13 +1000

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> offlineimap sounds very interesting.  Assuming it works with Exchange,
> does it play nicely with Gnus?  Does Gnus support Maildir format?  I
> can't imagine that it doesn't.

I've JUST finished getting offlineimap working on my system. Some
reading I did led me to believe that gnus reading from offlineimap's
Maildir would break things when the mail sync'd BACK to my IMAP
(Exchange 2003) server, so I am running a local Courier IMAP server
(just Debian's default install of it) that I use nnimap to suck the
mail from - i.e. offlineimap sync's my Exchange mail to ~/Maildir, and
Courier IMAP re-serves ~/Maildir to gnus via nnimap. Not as ugly as
you might think...

Key lines when setting up your .offlineimaprc to talk to Exchange:

[Repository Remote]
nametrans = lambda foldername: re.sub('^INBOX.?', '.', foldername)

This will make sure it syncs it to a structure that Courier
likes. Otherwise, it "just works" which is nice (although that above
line took me about 2 hours to figure out - python is not my strong
point).

HTH

Brett.