Re: My first article with Gnus, eventually...

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: My first article with Gnus, eventually...
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:20:38 -0500

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:12:05 +0200 Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com>
wrote:

FM>   - To save very interesting articles or mails, I use to creating some
FM>     folders (with logical topic names) and burry these articles in
FM>     them. In Gnus should I create a new group instead and copy/move
FM>     article in them ? If so how should I create those groups ?

Go to the article.  `B c' (`B m' for move) and give a group name.  If it
doesn't exist, Gnus will try to create the group.

FM>     Also in those groups, it makes no sense to make any of these
FM>     articles expirable or invisible after reading them.

You probably want to tick the articles then (it's the 'This Is
Important' flag).  They won't go away or get expired.

FM>   - I'd like to get a copy of the mail I send to my mail box instead
FM>     of archiving them in a 'Sent' mail box. How can I do that ? Of
FM>     course this doesn't apply for news groups.

Customize gnus-message-archive-group.

FM>   - I setup Gmane a my primary news server. Is that a good choice or
FM>     are there some better server ?

I like nnnil as the primary, it's easier to add/remove secondary servers
since their names are absolute (a group's name will include the server
name)..

FM>   - Attachments. Not really clear for now but the only way I find to
FM>     see if a mail has an attachment is to open the mail, go down to
FM>     the body of the article and see if Gnus has displayed
FM>     something. Is it possible to make this info appear in the summary
FM>     buffer line ? Also make it appears in the article buffer after the
FM>     header. Currently it's after the body.

Depends on the backend, actually.  IMAP, for instance, can tell us this,
but backends like nnmaildir need to scan the whole message to find the
information (imagine thousands of messages getting scanned, it's
painful).  AFAIK it hasn't been implemented but I may be wrong.

FM>   - Visit URLs inside articles. ISTR, I read something about that in
FM>     the info but can't find it anymore.

Use w3m as your browser in the console.

(require 'w3m)
(setq
 mm-inline-text-html-renderer 'mm-inline-text-html-render-with-w3m
 w3m-display-inline-image t ;; will fail gracefully on the console
 gnus-article-wash-function 'gnus-article-wash-html-with-w3m)

FM>   - I like when my summary buffer look like a 'salad fruit'. How can I
FM>     replace the current line cursor mark '=>' with nothing but instead
FM>     highlight the whole current line ?

FM>   - Could someone share their buffer/group line formats which are well
FM>     suited for console mode usage ? Or is there a place which collect
FM>     some .gnus files as templates or examples.

Sorry, mine are not interesting or useful.

FM>   - When I post an article to a newsgroup, the news server put my IP
FM>     of the machine I used to post this article. Is it possible to
FM>     prevent this from happening ?

Yes, you need to customize message-user-fqdn I believe.

FM>   - If I want to recover some very old articles which are surely
FM>     expired in all 'classical' news servers. Is there a suited place
FM>     where I can retrieve them ?

Don't know, sorry.

FM>   - Sometimes I send email directly from the shell prompt:

FM>                  echo "A short line" | mail <address>

FM>     How can I do this with Gnus ?

Use message-mode, you don't need to start Gnus at all.  M-x emacs-bug,
for instance, uses it.

FM>   - When I tried to open a file or save an article from Gnus, the
FM>     default directory is always /usr/share/info which pretty
FM>     useless. How can I change this to setup the current directory Gnus
FM>     is running ?

Don't know but it's in the manual, sorry.

HTH
Ted