Re: How to make them go away again...

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to make them go away again...
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:47:37 +0100

Hi!

> Next problem. How do I get groups to go away? When I create a new
> nnfolder group it's usually invisible until there's something unread
> in there.
>
> Now I have been trying to get some stuff to be configured to be
> permanently visible and after realizing that it didn't work at all I
> have have the opposite problem. How do I get them to go away!?!

I guess you've set gnus-permanently-visible-groups to some regexp which
matches any group, maybe "." or something like that.  So set the
variable back to nil or configure it like I showed in my other posting.

> C-k on everything?

No, that will kill the group so that you won't see it even if new
messages appear.

> I have so much crap in my .gnus.el now that I probably would be best
> served by starting over from scratch.

The general rule of thumb is: If you don't know what the code is doing,
don't use it.  Better try to keep the configs as minimal as possible.
Try to configure every task step by step, read the docs and if you
encounter a problem, ask here.

> The problem is that would totally kill any enthusiasm I have left for
> gnus. :(

I use Gnus for several years now and quite often I find out something
new which solves a problem I wasn't aware of before.  That keeps my
enthusiasm at a high level.

Honestly, configuring Gnus for the first time is a tough task if you
don't know lisp very well, but after that you'll adapt it do what you
want and from then on, there's no other approximately acceptable
mail/news reader.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris once skewered a man with the Eiffel tower.