Re: Trying to customize my gnus

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Trying to customize my gnus
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:22:38 +0200

andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd really love to stop using the stupid web interface and pass
> completely to gnus, but I need some help to understand..
>
> - pasting (yanking) stuff:
>   I see other people nicely pasting with --cut-- syntax and I suppose
>   they do it from gnus, but I didn't find any function for that.

You mean this?

Mark the region and hit `C-c M-m'.

> - activating hooks:
>   When I write messages I would like to activate some hooks, but which
>   is the right hook? (I tried message-mode-hook but didn't work)

Depends on what you want to run in the hook.  If the code modifies
variables needed for generating the headers, then something early like
`message-setup-hook' is needed.  But `message-mode-hook' is appropriate
most of the time.

> - download faster:
>   When I enter a big newsgroup it takes a very long time.
>   Isn't it possible to download somewhere all the headers of the threads
>   (not all posts) so that every time it only downloads the new ones??

Do you use the agent?  It can do so.  It's not extremely fast, but for
me it's ok, and I read a lot of groups.

> - show date:
>   I would like to the date of the various posts in the summary

Customize `gnus-summary-line-format'.

> - My posts:
>   It would be really nice to have a *summary* like buffer where I see
>   *ALL* my posts, taken from every possible newsgroup where I posted.
>   In this way I always have visible what's the "progress" of my
>   answers..

Not sure, but maybe you could do so with a kiboze group where you put
all articles with message-ids from you.

> - colors:
>   not very important but for example the summary buffer is all one
>   color, some more colors would be nice to get more easily the situation.

The faces can be set with `gnus-summary-line-format', too.

Bye,
Tassilo