Re: Not quoting the email address in news/mailing lists followups

From: Daniel Pittman
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:19:50 +1000

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> How do I configure the news/mailing lists followups and replies to not
> quote the reply to address?

    C-h v message-citation-line-function <RET>
    C-h v message-citation-line-format   <RET>

You get to write your own function to mangle the email address as you prefer,
or adjust the formatting preferences.  The later will allow you to omit the
address entirely, though, without having to do more custom work.

> On another mailing list, I was asked to configure my mail client to
> remove the email address
>
>       Please Configure Your Mailer To Not Quote Raw E-mail Addresses
>       In Your Replies. Some mailers include the raw e-mail address
>       in the "Joe <joe@example.com> wrote:" line. The web archives
>       for the mailing lists are publicly available. Let's not feed
>       the spam harvesters!
>
> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>
> I couldn't see anything in the replies and follow ups section in the manual.

Nope.  This is because most mailing lists are not run by people with
... unique ideas about how to improve the world. :)

Well, or they use their archiving tool to detect and mangle the addresses on
the way through, which is the right answer to this, if you believe it is of
value — since it "solves" the problem in one fell swoop.

Not that this is that relevant to your problem, of course.

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707