Re: Fancy split - simple regexp problem

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Fancy split - simple regexp problem
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:40:26 +0200

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 01:08:05 +0200
Tim Landscheidt wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, fundamentally I'm with you on that it
> constitutes what in MySQL would be called a "gotcha" - some-
> thing totally unexpected, yet somewhere documented.

No it's not documented (definitely not clearly and not enough, which is
really the same as not at all), see my bug report.

>   But I disagree with you to consider this a *bug*, as it
> *is* documented and it is logistically impossible to change
> Emacs' behaviour in this regard without assessing whether
> this breaks potentially quazillions lines of code. And I
> don't think that the developers consider it a bug either.

That's ridiculous. Are you saying that making _backward_ regexp search
_really_ do backward, not forward matching is going to break
"quazillions lines of code"? Not that I really care, but I very much
doubt that. What's much more likely is that it would _fix_ both known
and unknown breakages and unexpected behaviours, such as the one that
started this thread.

Anyway, if you want to continue arguing about this please use the bug
thread.

--
Štěpán