Re: Fancy split - simple regexp problem

From: Nicolas Berthier
Subject: Re: Fancy split - simple regexp problem
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:41:45 +0200

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> [...]
>
> When I try with this split:
>
>   ("X-Bugzilla-Product" "\\w+" "bugzilla.\\&")
>
> B q tells me:
>
>   "This message would go to bugzilla.m"
>
> [...]
>
> I'm sure there is an obvious thing, I just can't see it.

As you can see on the other branch of this thread, others are trolling
on this  topic. So  no, it's  not that obvious.   IMO, the  problem is
indeed greedyness of `re-search-backward'  that is not POSIX compliant
apparently [1].

You  may be  interrested in  trying the  following hack  (or something
similar)  which makes  fancy splitting  use a  greedy yet  much slower
backward searching algorithm:

(defadvice nnmail-split-it (around my-greedy-nnmail-split-it activate)
  "Around advice temporarily replacing `re-search-backward' with
`posix-search-backward'."
  (flet ((re-search-backward (regexp &optional bound noerr count)
           (posix-search-backward regexp bound noerr count)))
      ad-do-it))

Nicolas

[1] http://www.gnu.org/s/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/POSIX-Regexps.html

--
Nicolas Berthier                              FSF Student member #7975