Re: threading broken in g.e.gnus

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: threading broken in g.e.gnus
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 17:38:07 +0000

Tim Howe <vsync@quadium.net> writes:

> On 03 Apr 2013, wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse) wrote:
>
>> Tim Howe <vsync@quadium.net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm noticing many of the threads in here are completely broken.  It
>>> seems the Message-IDs are getting replaced by Mailman ones so References
>>> and In-Reply-To headers are left dangling.
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/xgxuZT0.png
>>
>> You can try customizing `gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function'.
>> Gnus's default is indeed to fall back on Subject if References are
>> wrong
>
> Thanks for that, but I was actually commenting on the munging itself,
> not how Gnus is handling it on display.  It seems something (GMANE?) is
> chewing on the articles and replacing the Message-IDs with "Mailman"
> ones, meaning that references and threading are broken non-predictably
> depending on the path messages take.

Yes, the problem seems correlated to [followups to] posts made from
info-gnus-english@gnu.org, as opposed to the Gmane or Google Groups
routes.  It's still noticeable, although not as frequently, with my
display settings for Gnus ( http://ompldr.org/vaHo3dQ ).

Crossposting to gmane.discuss to see if the Gmane admins have an idea
about this.

Best,
Will

--