Re: multi-email gnus setup questions

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: multi-email gnus setup questions
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:06:06 +0800

Benjamin Slade <slade@jnanam.net> writes:

> A few issues I'm stuck on. Partially owing to using multiple accounts,
> perhaps.
>
> (1) Splitting mail with multiple accounts.
> I have this in my .gnus.el:
>
> ;; mail splitting
> (setq nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX")
>  (setq nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED")
>  (setq nnmail-split-fancy ;;
>        '(|                                ;;
>          (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) ;;
>        ("List-Id" ".*help-gnu-emacs.gnu.org" "INBOX.emacs.help")
>        (to "someone@domain.net" "INBOX.someone")
>          "INBOX"                          ;;
>         ))
>  (setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>  (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy) ;;
>  (gnus-registry-initialize) ;;
>
> But it doesn't seem to create new folders/groups for either rule.  What
> am I doing wrong?  Is it an issue of having multiple accounts?

You have to tell each account to use your split rules (this allows you
to theoretically use different rules for different accounts). See
the "Client-side IMAP Splitting" section of the manual for details. If
you're using fancy splitting, I think you have to set
nnimap-split-methods to nnimap-split-fancy, then set nnimap-split-fancy
to the value of the splits you want to use. All that has to happen as
server parameters.

> (2) Splitting mail with Gmail/other apps:
> Assuming I can successfully split mail, if I split into something like
> INBOX.emacs, will other connecting non-gnus mail clients see mail in
> INBOX.emacs as being in the INBOX?

I'm actually not sure about this.

> (3) Customizing the C-x gnus menu:
> Right I see things like nnimap+gmail1account:INBOX. Is there a way to
> customize this, to look like FirstAccount:INBOX ?

You can customize how the line for each group appears using the
`gnus-group-line-format' variable -- it's possible to remove the backend
altogether. See the "Group Line Specification" part of the manual. In
particular, you might try switching the %g format specifier for %G?
Anyway, experiment with that!