Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade

From: Pierfrancesco Caci
Subject: Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 08:33:56 +0100

Hi Eric

    Eric> The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it
    Eric> to the string
    Eric> "my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.
    >>
    >> I've tried this by changing the variable from inside emacs
    >> configuration. I still get the escapes back when I save.

    Eric> Did you put quotes in explicitly when entering the server name? You
    Eric> should see the double quotes in the customization interface.

    >> Interestingly, I can access the server fine if I "browse remote server"
    >> and enter the required info manually

    Eric> When you enter the server name at the prompt, it's
    Eric> automatically treated
    Eric> as a string and quoted.

oh... quotes! yes that worked, I can read mail from my remote server
now, thanks! Interesting that this is now a requirement.

    Eric> If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of
    Eric> Gnus, it's
    Eric> probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the
    Eric> section on
    Eric> IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.
    >>
    >> This is "the" manual, right? http://www.gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html

    Eric> You'll be best off using the in-Emacs info browser: "C-h i", and then
    Eric> "m" and "Gnus". That way you'll know that the manual you're reading
    Eric> corresponds to the Gnus you're using.

Well, that's odd. I remember having the manual inside emacs and browsing
it as you suggest, apparently is no longer there. I'm probably missing a
.deb, but Chtulu knows which one :-)

Anyway, thanks for the help, I've got my main mail working again so I'm
happy. I can live with the local mail broken until I figure out what's
wrong with dovecot.

Pf

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx